An official army family and MWR Site

School Support Services


School Support Services provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child & Youth Services (CYS), School Support Services features School Liaison Officers (SLOs), who help schools, installations and Families work together for student achievement.

SLOs are your best support in the area of education, schools and military transitions. SLOs are knowledgeable in current education news and policies. They act as the conduit between the school community – including local public school districts, private schools and home school Families – and the installation.

How do they do it? By

  • Helping schools understand the challenges military Families face
  • Informing parents about local school policies
  • Giving Families information about local schools, graduation requirements, after school programs, youth sponsorship and homeschooling
  • Connecting units and schools through partnership initiatives
  • Conducting workshops to help parents navigate educational transition and advocate for their children
  • Providing an array of resources that benefit military youth and improve school experiences
  • Here is an additional resource for returning back to in-person learning. 

Click on the video below to find out even more about School Liaison Officers (SLO). The Facebook Live event was presented by Military OneSource featuring a panel of School Liaison experts from each Service, explaining the benefits of the School Liaison program!

Kinder Registration

The following are the 2023 Kindergarten screening dates and telephone numbers of area schools and districts for School Year 2023/2024. Families are asked to complete the registration process online if applicable or call the registration office for an appointment. The district will then schedule a screening appointment. If you arrive after the screening dates, contact your school district registration office immediately. 

Contact the School Liaison Officer for assistance. 

2023 North Country School Districts Kinder Screening/Registration Dates for U.S. Military Families
"These attachments include useful hypertext links to information created and maintained by others. We provide these links solely for your information and convenience. When you select a link to an outside website, remember that you're leaving this website and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside website. When you leave this
website, remember that the U.S. Army .does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on a linked website .does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites, and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer .cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Those who provide comments are responsible for the copyright of any content they provide .is not responsible for transmissions users receive from linked websites
.does not guarantee that outside websites comply with Section 508 (Accessibility Requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act"
When Do I Need a SLO?

Getting ready to move:

  • Information about your upcoming duty station and educational options in your new community
  • Connection to a youth sponsor who can answer your child’s questions from a youth’s perspective
  • Assistance with the steps to prepare for your children’s departure from their current schools


Once you arrive:

  • Assistance with school registration and transition
  • Help with questions about compliance and solutions regarding the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
  • Two way communication between the school and parent
  • Connection with homeschool co-ops or support groups


During your assignment:

  • Answers to your questions about schools, homeschooling, special education, scholarships, transitions and more.
  • Parent education opportunities about college and career readiness, preparing for transition and the Interstate Compact 

To ease the transition, contact your SLO as soon as you get orders.

Finding a School

Finding a new school and registering your child can be confusing. 

We can help.

Our SLOs give you information on local schools so you can find the best fit for you and your family.   They can also help you with everything you need to register – and can answer other questions, too. Contact our office and to get more detailed information.

Research-based Characteristics of Quality Schools 

Most schools share fundamental characteristics that prepare students for the future. Research shows that the most effective schools are more alike than they are different. Here is some information about what to look for in quality schools:


For Families Living On Post
There are no school districts located on Fort Drum. Students living on the installation attend public school in either Carthage Central School District or Indian River Central School District. The school district the student attends depends on which housing area the family resides in.

Students living in Rhicard Hills housing community attend the Carthage Central School Distrist. Students living in Adirondack Creek, Crescent Woods, or Monument Ridge housing communities attend the Indian River School District. You may enroll in a school district if you are utilizing temporary lodging.

Both Carthage and Indian River School Districts have one high school for all 9th–12th graders. They both have one middle school; however Carthage Middle School is for grades 5th–8th and Indian River Middle School is for grades 6th–8th.

Carthage has three Kindergarten–4th grade elementary schools. Indian River has five primary schools, grades Kindergarten–3rd, and one intermediate school for grades 4th and 5th. Which elementary/primary school younger students attend depends on the physical street address of their residence.

Click this link to see how Fort Drum is split between the Carthage Central School District and the Indian River Central School District. Use this map as a guide to see what district you reside in and, if you have students in elementary grades, what school they will attend. Please note, this map is an unofficial guide for elementary/primary building guidance. Official determination rests with the public school district you reside in.

Carthage District Website
Carthage State Education Department Profile

Indian River District Website
Indian River State Education Department Profile


For Families Living Off Post
Students living off Fort Drum will attend school in the town or district in which they reside. Click on this link for a map of all the public school districts in the Fort Drum area that education military-connected students.


Off Post Public Schools
Alexandria District Website
Alexandria State Education Department Profile

Beaver River District Website
Beaver River State Education Department Profile

Belleville-Henderson District Website
Belleville-Henderson State Education Department Profile

Carthage District Website
Carthage State Education Department Profile

Copenhagen District Website
Copenhagen State Education Department Profile

General Brown District Website
General Brown State Education Department Profile

Gouverneur District Website
Gouverneur State Education Department Profile

Harrisville District Website
Harrisville State Education Department Profile

Indian River District Website
Indian River State Education Department Profile

LaFargeville District Website
LaFargeville State Education Department Profile

Lowville District Website
Lowville State Education Department Profile

Lyme District Website
Lyme State Education Department Profile

Sackets Harbor District Website
Sackets Harbor State Education Department Profile

Sandy Creek District Website
Sandy Creek State Education Department Profile

South Jefferson District Website
South Jefferson State Education Department Profile

South Lewis District Website
South Lewis State Education Department Profile

Thousand Islands District Website
Thousand Islands State Education Department Profile

Watertown District Website
Watertown State Education Department Profile


Off Post Parochial Schools

Augustinian Academy

Faith Fellowship Christian School

Immaculate Heart Central


New York State School Statistics
The New York State Education Department hosts a website with the statistical report card for every school district in the state. For more information about the schools in our area (Jefferson and Lewis counties), see the NY State School District Report Card.

Youth Sponsorship

Transitioning youth often have questions concerning their new community and how it compares to the community they are preparing to depart. The lack of knowledge of the area and the apprehension of leaving friends often makes moving a frightening experience. Interested Families can request a Youth Sponsorship by completing the Fort Drum Youth Sponsorship Application and emailing it to the Fort Drum School Liaison Officer.

By emailing it to the above address, it will be sent to Fort Drum Child and Youth Services, and Youth Programs will contact your Family about connecting your child to a sponsor who can help answer questions and make moving a little easier. For more information, call the Fort Drum Youth Center at (315)772-6719 or the Fort Drum School Liaison Officer at (315)772-3214.

Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find the resources available in your school district. We can also connect you with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office.


New York State Educational Services are some of the best in the country. Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) Systems Navigators are located on the installation and assist Families with locating area educational and social agencies and resources. Systems Navigators can also work with parents and schools by attending Special Education meetings. For more information, EFMP can be reached at (315)772-0664 or (315)772-5488.


Army DirectSTEP Resources:

Army DirectSTEP 

Army DirectSTEP Key Codes

Additional References and Resources for Special Education

Below is a link to the New York State Education Department's Office of Special Education. This website has information on rights, assistance, special education processes, and contact information to Special Education Offices:

Below are local links to special needs resources, agencies, and advocates in the area. Please feel free to reach out to these agencies, in addition to using the services provided by Fort Drum Exceptional Family Member Program.

Northern Regional Center for Independent Living  (NRCIL)

Disabled Persons Action Organization

Jefferson Rehabilitation Center

Transitional Living Services of Northern New York

New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities

Support for School Aged Exceptional Family members though Jefferson-Lewis BOCES:

 BOCES is the Board of Cooperative Educational Services. It is a regional public education agency which functions in New York State as an extension of local school districts.  Jefferson-Lewis-Hamilton-Herkimer-Oneida BOCES (often times referred to as Jefferson-Lewis BOCES) is overseen by a nine-Members Board of Education and by a District Superintendent. A total of 18 school districts are currently served by Jefferson-Lewis BOCES. Services offered to these districts include Administrative Services, Career & Technical Education, Adult Education & Continuing Education, Programs for Exceptional Students and Programs & Professional Development. Click here for more on BOCES:

The Programs for Exceptional Students Department provides special education classes, services, and alternative education settings for students who require additional support to meet their academic needs. We collaborate with component district staff, educational committees, parents, and community agencies to develop solutions that address the individual needs of students. More on this department can be found here.


Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:


Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.


The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All 50 states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year.

If you feel that you have an issue that the Compact can help address talk with your SLO.  The SLO is able to assist by connecting with both the sending and receiving school to assist in resolving the issue.  If it is not possible to resolve the issue locally, the SLO will help you work with the state commission, and if needed, the national office.

Post - Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with elementary education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.


The US Department of Veteran’s Affairs provides information about Military-Specific and Government Academic Support G.I. Bill

The Transferability of Educational Benefits for the Post 9/11 GI Bill are very specific. The Defense Manpower Data Center, through MilConnect will guide you through the transfer process and your eligibility to do so.  Speak with an Education Counselor prior to making this election in order to ensure you understand the benefit.

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service-members, active duty for a period of more than 30 days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service-member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965 (pdf) apply.

Community Colleges and Universities in Upstate New York


All homeschool families are required to register with the public school district in which they reside and follow New York State Homeschool Regulations. Fort Drum has a local homeschool group that is very active. Monthly meetings are held for parents and children to discuss concerns, issues, and accomplishments. This group is very knowledgeable regarding homeschool regulations. They offer support and many great ideas. For local homeschool resources, contact the Fort Drum School Liaison Officer at (315)772-3214 or email.

Homeschooling Legal Defense Association

New York State Homeschool Regulations

New York State Homeschool FAQs

CYS Sports for Homeschool Students

Carthage Central School District Homeschooling Forms and POC

Indian River Central School District Homeschooling Forms and POC

Watertown City School District HomeSchooling Forms and POC

Frequently Asked Questions

What school district will I attend if I live on-post?
Families living in the Adirondack Creek, Crescent Woods, or Monument Ridge housing communities will attend the Indian River Central School District. Within the housing communities that attend Indian River, students in Kindergarten to 3rd grade will attend one of four primary school buildings in the district. Depending on where you reside, students will either attend Antwerp Primary, Calcium Primary, Evans Mills Primary, or Theresa Primary. Families living in the Rhicard Hills Housing Community or in the Leray Mansion area will attend Carthage Central School District. Within the housing communities that attend Carthage, students in Kindergarten to 4th grade will attend one of three elementary school buildings in the district. Students will either attend Black River Elementary, Carthage Elementary, or West Carthage Elementary.

To find out what elementary or primary building your child will attend, you can use this map as an unofficial guide: On-Post School Districts/Elementary-Primary Building Guide


What school district can I attend and be able to use before and/or after school care on Fort Drum?
In order to utilize busing that travels to and from the School Age Center on Fort Drum, families need to live in either the Carthage or Indian River school districts. You may live on or off post and still use before or after school care. No other public school district (Watertown, General Brown, etc.) provides busing to or from the School Age Center. 

In addition, if you live in either the Carthage or Indian River district and would like to attend a parochial school in Watertown or Carthage, your child will have bus transportation to and from the School Age Center to their parochial school.


Can I attend a parochial school and live on Fort Drum?
Yes. Augustinian Academy, Faith Fellowship Christian School, and Immaculate Heart Central all have on-post students attending school in their buildings. Busing is providing from the public school district that you reside in.


Is busing provided to and from school?
Yes. Busing is provided for every student attending school on Fort Drum, free of charge. 


What will I need to provide for documentation in order to register my child in school?
You will need a completed registration packet for each child you are enrolling. All school districts have their own unique registration packet that can be found on their school district’s website. Carthage and Indian River registration packets can also be found in the Parent Central Services office in Clark Hall. 

You will need to provide your school district with a proof of address. A physical street address is required. Students cannot be enrolled with only a housing community listed.

You will need information about the previous school that your child attended. Hopefully the last school gave you a hard copy of student records prior to leaving. Previous report cards may also be useful. If not, please have on hand the name and address of the last school your child attended.

Your child’s most recent physical and immunization records are also necessary. A new physical may be required by the district upon entry. 

School districts also ask you to provide the district with a proof of age. You will need to have a copy of your child's birth certificate and their Social Security Number. If the child(ren) have a different parent listed on the birth certificates, then you will need some sort of document that shows you have custody of the child. 

Please also provide any special needs documentation from the last state you resided in. 


Can I enroll my child into school if we are using temporary housing?
Families can enroll in school if they are using temporary lodging. Depending on the lodging, you may be attending either the Carthage or Indian River school district. We would highly suggest contacting the Fort Drum School Liaison in a situation like this to discuss schooling options that you may have.


Can I switch districts or buildings if I want to attend a different school?
New York is a district of residence, meaning that your children go to school in the district where you reside. Districts and buildings are assigned by location and once you are settled, you are required to attend the location that you are assigned. If you would like to attend a specific district or particular building, contact the School Liaison prior to choosing housing.


Graduation Requirements

To graduate from high school in the state of New York, the following credit requirements must be met:

  • English - 4 units
  • Social Studies - 4 units
  • Math - 3 units
  • Science - 3 units
  • Language other than English (LOTE) - 1 unit
  • Art/Music/Dance/Theater - 1 unit
  • Health - 1/2 unit
  • Physical Education - 2 units
  • Electives - 3 1/2 units

Total: 22 units of credit

In addition, students also have testing requirements in the form of the New York State Regents Exams. To learn more about specific assessments necessary for graduating in New York State, as well as different diploma options for students, visit the New York State Education Department.


Important Dates

Important Dates for the 2019–2020 School Year

ACT/SAT Test Dates for the 2019–2020 School Year

College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Codes (For SAT/ACT exams and FAFSA)


Here are some additional web resources to assist you with your child’s education:


Academic Resources: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than 40 core subjects and standardized test preparation.

Homework Support: Army Child Youth & School Services provides Homework Labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center.


Khan Academy:

A personalized learning resource for all ages Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, SAT and more.    


Support/Resilience Resources:

School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.


Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free nonmedical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child, Youth and School Services programs, and in highly impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free nonmedical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, on the phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Ready and Resilient Workshops for youth and educators are offered through the SLO and Youth Center programs. These workshops provide educators and students with the same tools Soldiers receive through their Ready and Resilient training. As Master Resilience Trainers SLOs strive to develop a common language around resilience for educators, youth and their parents.

For information on how to attend a class contact your local SLO.


College and Career Readiness Resources:

College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in postsecondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework. These links have tools that will help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:


Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP) provides STEM opportunities for military connected youth. The website provides information about AEOP programs available to youth, scholarship opportunities, news, and ways to get involved. Scholarship Finder provides a search engine to help you find money for your child’s higher education needs. Search over 1000 scholarships intended for military youth. They also have a Military Scholarship Handbook.

School Support Services Scholarship Database Listing of crowd sourced scholarships for military connected youth. Scholarships are listed in alphabetical order and provide information on deadlines and qualifications.


 Financial Aid

Provides a description of federal student aid programs from the U.S. Dept. of Education  and how to apply for them.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply for federally funded financial assistance for education beyond high school.

Get Ready for College - College Planning, Financial Aid
 for U.S. Military Families



Jefferson County, New York Resource Links


New York State Educational Links


New York Family Resources by County


The College Board

The College Board helps students prepare for a successful transition to college through programs and services in college readiness and college success  including the SAT and the Advanced Placement Program. Additional resources include AP Exam Schedule, Online AP Classes, Review Sessions and Parent webinars along with other resources on scholarships and college and career search tools.

College Board 2020 AP Exam Day Checklist

DODEA Virtual High School: Expanded Pilot Program 
Students must be the dependents of active-duty military members who are serving in locations that do not have a DoDEA brick-and-mortar high school. Homeschooled students who are compliant with state laws are also eligible. Students can take up to two courses per academic year.  For Information click here: DODEA Virtual High School

MWR Online Library ( Mango Languages, k-12 resources):
MWR Online Library

Military OneSource

Military OneSource offers translation and interpretation services to help ease relocation stress. This no-cost service is offered by the Department of Defense. It supports military personnel and families with a broad range of services to aid PCS transitions to overseas installations or those new to the United States.

How Translation and Interpretation Services Can Ease PCS Move

National Links


Financial Aid


Other Educational Resources


Your Fort Drum School Liaison Officer

Wendy O'Sullivan

Robin Banks

More Child & Youth Services

Fort Drum CYS Hiring Event

Oct 18 8 am - 11 am

Fort Drum CYS Hiring Event

Oct 18 8 am - 11 am